The institution was started in 1900 as the Medical Faculty of the Novorossiyskiy State University in Odessa. The medical faculty soon became one of the most prestigious medical faculties in the Russian Empire. Many famous medical scientists including Nobel laureates like Professor Mechnikov worked here.
The Medical Faculty managed to survive the difficult and turbulent period of the early years of the Russian revolution and in 1922 it was transformed into an independent and autonomous Odessa State Medical Institute. It was later to become Odessa State Medical University after the collapse of the Soviet Union, in an independent Ukrainian Republic.
Today the Odessa National Medical University remains one of the leading medical universities in Ukraine. It is a member of the International Association of Medical Universities and the high standards of training at the institution is well recognized throughout Europe and America. The University consists of 58 faculties and has a student population of over 6,000 including foreign students from very different and diverse countries. Tuition is given in Russian, Ukrainian and English languages.